If Death Occurs At Home
1. Telephone the doctor who will visit to confirm that death has taken place.
2. Contact a funeral director.
3. Arrange to collect the doctor's Medical Certificate of Death (usually from the surgery).
4. Take this to the Registrars Office, (together with the deceased's Medical Card and Birth Certificate, if available) for the area in which the death took place. Alternatively you can register by declaration at any convenient Registrars Office but certificates will not be available as these will have to be posted to you a few days later.
5. The Registrar will normally issue a Green coloured certificate for you to give to your funeral director who will look after necessary arrangements for the funeral. The Registrar will also issue a white notification certificate for the DSS. They will also enquire as to the number of Certified Copies you require for dealing with the deceased finances (a fee is payable for each copy).
If The Death Occurs In Hospital
1. Contact a funeral director to inform him his services are required.
2. Collect the certificate from the hospital then follow 4 - 5 as above
Note For Cremation
Your funeral director will usually liaise directly with the surgery regarding the additional certification required.
The Compassionate Friends (UK)
Support for bereaved parents and their families
The Compassionate Friends (TCF) is an organisation of bereaved parents and their families offering understanding, support and encouragement to others after the death of a child or children. We also offer support, advice and information to other relatives, friends and professionals who are helping the family.
Helpline 0845 123 2304 (From UK)
Our Helpline is always answered by a bereaved parent who is there to listen when you need someone to talk to.They can also put you in touch with your nearest Local Contact in the United Kingdom and provide you with information about our services. The Helpline also offers support and information to those supporting bereaved families. It is open every day of the year - 10am to 4.00pm / 6.30pm - 10.30pm (GMT).
The Helpline can also be reached by email:- firstname.lastname@example.org
However, a faster response will normally result from a telephone call.
The Child Death Helpline
A helpline for anyone affected by the death of a child of any age, from pre birth to adult, under any circumstances, however recently or long ago.
Freephone 0800 282986
Additional Freephone Number for ALL mobiles 0808 800 6019
SoBS - Survivors Of Bereavement by Suicide
Bereaved by Suicide
You don't have to face it alone
National Helpline 0870 241 3337
Available 9am - 9pm every day
Winston's Wish - help forbereaved children & their families
Helpline 084520 30 40 5
The Child Bereavement Charity
Support and Information Line 01494446648
Cruse Bereavement Care
Cruse Bereavement Care exists to promote the well-being of bereaved people and to enable anyone bereaved by death to understand their grief and cope with their loss. The organisation provides counselling and support. It offers information, advice,education and training services.
Helpline 0808 808 1677
The WAYFoundation - for Young Widowed People up to the age of 50
A charity run entirely by volunteers, providing a self-help support network for men and women widowed up to the age of 50. Members and their families make contact with each other in order to give and receive support.
For more information, email email@example.com
Phone us on +44 (0)870 011 3450
or write to us at: The WAY Foundation, PO Box 6767, Brackley, NN13 6YW
Support after Murder and Manslaughter
HELP LINE 020 77353838
Stillbirth and Neonatal Death Society
HELP LINE 020 7436 5881
BrakeCare: Brake - the Road Safety Charity
HELPLINE -0845 603 8570
Help line for emotional support and practical information if you have been bereaved or seriously injured in a road crash. You can also call the help lineif you are a family member, friend, or professional caring for someone affected by a road crash. (This help line is staffed by one support worker. If you reach our answerphone, leave a message saying when you would like to be called back.) Or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org