If you have a hospital appointment and have a medical need for assisted transport. Please call the Non Emergency Patient Transport Service Call Line to see if you fulfil the criteria in order to book your transport.
Call Line :- 03000 134995 Open 10am - 4pm (Monday to Friday excluding Bank Holidays)
Please call at least 48 hours notice.
You will not be able take an escort with you unless it is medically needed and comes under the following criteria:-
- Unable to communicate
Depending on the Health Authority where the transport is requested, it is not always possible to arrange an escort.
Who is eligible for transport?
Hospital transport is only provided if you have a medical need that stops you from using private or public transport.
You are entitled to hospital transport if you:
- Need to travel lying down
- Require continuous oxygen or other medical gases.
- You will also be considered for hospital transport if you have no alternative means of transport available and you:
- Need to travel in a wheelchair
- Have a psychiatric or learning difficulty which prevents you from using public transport
- Have a medical condition that would compromise your dignity or cause public concern if public transport was used
- Cannot walk without the continual support of another person or walking aid, ie zimmer frame or similar
- Experience unpleasant side-effects as a result of your medical treatment which prevents you from using public transport
- Receipt of ‘mobility allowance’ does not automatically exclude you from receiving Hospital Transport but this factor will be taken into consideration when being assessed.
If you do not meet the requirements and there are no other special circumstances, you will need to make your own arrangements to and from hospital.
Help with hospital transport costs
Patients who have to pay for transport to hospital and who get Income Support or are on a low income, can receive help with their travelling expenses. The following link provides information about help available with health costs.